Homer Vaughan, 74, died August 13 in Missouri
Homer Vaughan, 74, developer of the Englewood Plaza business area, died Thursday, August 13, at his home at 1802 Harvard, Independence, Missouri.
Mr. Vaughan was born Nov. 21, 1895 at Collingston, Utah. He grew up and went to school in Malad and married Rachel Daniels, May 27, 1914. They spent two years in Lava Hot Springs and then moved to Independence where he became known at the developer of Englewood. After 48 years he retired as a real estate developer. He was a member of the Englewood Reorganized LDS Church.
His wife died in March 1935 at Independence and in April 1936 he married Katharine Snider of Independence.
In 1927 he built the Vaughan Building in Englewood where he operated the Englewood Market until 1945. Mr. Vaughan, who became known as the “Father of Englewood,” was the first president of the Englewood Business Association in 1945 and was an active leader in all neighborhood civic affairs. In 1945, with his partner he purchased the land known as the Annie Ralston tract from Robert James son of Frank James, and in 1946 built a structure there which is now occupied by the Englewood post office, and the Crenshaw Camera shop, Ben Franklin store and Gift Shop. In 1947, he formed Englewood Enterprises, a corporation which constructed the Englewood Treater.
Surviving are his wife, Katherine Vaughan Independence; a son, Clair D. Vaughan Long Beach. Calif.; a daughter, Mrs. John (Donna) Crandall Phoenix Ariz.; his mother Mrs. Carrie A. Vaughan Malad: three brothers, James and Dale Vaughan of Malad, and Vance Vaughan Hawaii; two sisters Mrs. Ada Vaughan, Shellev. Idaho; Mrs Lewis (Helen) Morgan of Malad. He has three grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
The funeral was held at the Carson chapel in Independence and burial was in the Mound Grove Cemetery. Attending were Mrs. Carrie A. Vaughan, Mrs. Lewis Morgan, James Vaughan, Dale Vaughan, Malad, and Mrs. Ada Vaughan, Shelley